Is it difficult getting a book published?
Yes. That said, here is my advice for aspiring authors:
- Keep writing. Finish multiple manuscripts.
- Never send out a work you’re not 100% certain is as good as it can possibly be at this point in your pursuit. (It will never be perfect; there is always room for improvement.) Don’t fall prey to impatience. You only get one chance to make a good first impression.
- Don’t take rejection personally. A manuscript that sells is simply a combination of the right book, at the right time, with the right editor.
- If an editor or agent offers you advice, listen!
- Don’t dismiss smaller publishing houses. Don’t spite yourself by narrowing your choices.
- Read. A lot. Look at what’s filling the bookshelves in your local bookstores. Look at what readers are clamoring for. Look at the type of books you enjoy reading. (You must be a reader to be a writer.)
- Write what’s in your heart, it’ll show in your work.